Thursday, August 2, 2012

It's "its".


It's “its”

You may think it's because I deeply care about your being able to write a cogent, coherent thought, and about your being able to express yourself more concisely, precisely, etc., because I love you. I don't. I do it because I can't stand to see the same crap jerk mistake made over and over and over.

Notice I didn't say “mistakes”, plural. I said “mistake”, singular.

So I'm not going to take you to task for “to, two, and too” today. Apparently no matter how many times you hear it, it will not sink in that these are words that sound alike, but do not mean the same thing. Instead I've decided that for a while at least I'll just drop my left shoulder like an offensive lineman and plow on through this garbage I constantly get from out there, they're and their.

Nope. Today we're going to go to town on “it's”. I see this poor orphan abused all the time even by people who have Letters After Their Names. I thought I'd clear this up for you, even those unfortunates with degrees.

It's “its”. Invariably. Unless you are making a contraction of “it is”, it's always “its”.

There is no “I before e, except after c(unless you're spelling 'weird')” rule here. Unless you're saying “it is”, it's always “its”.

There! You just earned your English Degree. Thank you for reading. I feel much better now.
Snacks, naps and playtime
panama

No comments:

Post a Comment